Sunday, December 8, 2013

A quilt of thanks giving...

As many of you know, about 8 months ago the Trio family moved across country.  In the chaos of uprooting our lives and making this venture we were lucky enough for my sister and brother-in-law to graciously allow us to move into their basement until we could get settled.

It's no small thing opening your home to people for such an extended period of time.  Even if they are family.  Especially if they are family!  How does one begin to say thanks for generosity such as that? 


As a quilter the answer was obvious for me!  What better way to say thanks than with an over-sized lap quilt that will keep you warm and toasty for years to come?


I did not follow any pattern for the quilt.  Just a simple herringbone style layout of half square triangles.  I used Kona cotton solids in Iron and Snow for the front and binding--  which I found iron-ic because it snowed the whole time I worked on this quilt (see what I did there)!  The quilt finished at about 66" x 80".

The backing fabric was print from the Dear Stella line "Tuxedo".  It was a great choice to keep the quilt neutral and low key, which is perfect for their home.  But I'm not going to lie-- I had to STRONGLY resist the urge to throw a bright splash of color in there somewhere!


I hope that this quilt is a wonderful addition to their home, that it keeps them warm for years to come, and that they are reminded of how thankful the Trio family is for the kindnesses they have shown unto us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment